Health Professionals Information
Details of Service:
The Endocrinology services at Western Health Bacchus Marsh and Melton are both publicly and MBS funded. All services are bulk billed and therefore there is no out of pocket fee associated with this service.
Endocrinology provides assessment and management of endocrine conditions.
Please ensure that all referrals have a clinicians name on it or it will be unable to be accepted.
The service provides support for the following conditions:
- Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus
- Gestational Diabetes *
- Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus
- Thyroid Issues
- Dr May Lea Ong
- Dr Tricia Wong
Current Session Times and Locations
All sessions are located at Melton Health and Community Services Green Building.
Endocrinology appointments are offered on Mondays and some Thursdays.
Please ensure that all recent blood tests, pathology etc are attached to the referrals.
Providing relevant investigations and results will assist in appropriate and timely triage of your patients.
Due to high demands for the services please note patients who require VicRoads reports will not be given priority but will be triaged according to clinical criteria alone. Patients who have been seen a the service and are deemed suitable for discharge according to clinical criteria, will be discharged irrespective of whether they require periodic VicRoads reports.
Conditions NOT seen at Melton Health:
- Patients <18 years old.
- Patients with uncomplicated Type 2 diabetes and HbA1c < 8% - the majority of these patients are most appropriately managed in primary care. Special considerations may be given on a case-by-case basis for exceptional circumstances. Please specify special reason in referral letter for special consideration.
- Patients with a HbA1c less than 8.0% who has an eGFR >30 with no other concerning clinical information
- Patients with uncomplicated Type 2 diabetes and HbA1c < 8% who require VicRoads report.
- Patients Type 2 diabetes and HbA1c > 8.0% but appropriate for their age and/or comorbidities (e.g. elderly patients, asymptomatic patients with limited life expectancy).
- Patients with gestational diabetes requiring insulin or pregnant patients with pre-existing diabetes – Refer to either Sunshine Hospital or Werribee Mercy Hospital.
- Patients with overt hyperthyroidism (i.e. low TSH and high T4 or T3) in pregnancy – Refer to either Sunshine Hospital or Werribee Mercy Hospital.
- Patients requiring transgender health services - Refer to Monash Gender Dysphoria Clinic, or a private endocrinologist with a special interest in this area.
- Patients referred solely for a Zoledronic Acid infusion – Refer directly to Day Medical at Melton Health