Health Professionals Information
Details of Service:
The Endocrinology services at Western Health Bacchus Marsh and Melton are both publicly and MBS funded. All services are bulk billed and therefore there is no out of pocket fee associated with this service.
Endocrinology provides assessment and management of endocrine conditions.
The service provides support for the following conditions:
- Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus
- Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus
- Thyroid Issues
- Dr May Lea Ong
- Dr Tricia Wong
Current Session Times and Locations
All sessions are located at Melton Health and Community Services Green Building.
Endocrinology appointments are offered on Mondays and some Thursdays.
Please ensure that all recent blood tests, pathology etc are attached to the referrals.
Providing relevant investigations and results will assist in appropriate and timely triage of your patients.
Exclusion criteria at Melton Health:
- Paediatric patients.
- Uncomplicated Type 2 diabetes where HbA1c is less than 8% (64 mmol/mol) - the majority of these patients are most appropriately managed in primary care (RACGP diabetes guidelines). No HbA1c threshold applies to patients with an EGFR <30 mL/min/1.73m2
- Patients with HbA1c 8.0% (64 mmol/mol) or higher but appropriate for their age and /or comorbidities (e.g. elderly patients, asymptomatic patients with limited life expectancy)
- Patients managed by an endocrinologist at another public health service or privately, unless special circumstances exist (e.g. patient has changed address and is now at significant distance from the previous service)
- Pregnant women with diabetes requiring insulin
- Patients without diabetes (e.g. insulin resistance, pre-diabetes)
- Patients discharged from Western Health Diabetes Clinic or another Diabetes Clinic in the last 12 months, unless they have developed new symptoms, new/worsening complications, or a rise in HbA1c greater than 1.0% which has not responded to escalation in primary care management
- Patients during pregnancy with gestational diabetes or thyroid dysfunction – Refer to the Obstetric Endocrinology Clinics at either Sunshine Hospital or Werribee Mercy Hospital
- Obesity management
- Patients referred solely for a Zoledronic Acid infusion – Refer directly to Day Medical at Melton Health
Referrals and Further Information
For Further information, please call the Referral and Appointment Service on 03 9747 7609.
Referrals can be accepted by fax (03 9746 0668) or via Connecting Care.